Tuesday, November 09, 2010

texting teens

Heard something on the radio this morning, on the news portion.

It said that hyper texting teens are more at risk for certain things. It provided statistics that stated that teenagers who text 120 times or more per day were more likely to have sex, do drugs, fight and get drunk. Here's the article.

First, I have to wonder why the study was only done on teens in Cleveland. It seems like an unreasonable and inacurate way to conduct a study. If you are going to study teens and texting, wouldn't you want to use a wider study group? Maybe pick 2 schools from major cities in several widespread countries? Cuz I'd be willing to bet that it would show a huge difference in findings if they tested teens from all over the world, as opposed to just some in Cleveland.

Second... what impact does texting have on a slightly older population? I say slightly older, but really I mean people my age or older (hey, I can't help it if I FEEL like a teen still). Are we more promiscuous? Do we partake in riskier activities just because we text? Or are our brains developed enough to know better?

I felt like I had all these points to talk about with this article, but these are the main two. Got any to add in?

Jules :Oj

7 comments:

The Grunt said...

I'm thinking that I need to text more.

Jules said...

You have my number! Text away! :)

SIMON said...

Sorry didn't comment earlier too busy texting......

Jules said...

Si - LOL.. so how's that working out for you?

Diary of a Gay Soldier's Husband said...

Sorry - I'm too busy texting hookers while driving drunk... What did you say???

Jim said...

I text because I can't stand to talk with people. I'm pretty certain I'm not going to have sex with them then.

Jules said...

Dilly - LMAO! It wasn't important, I'll text it to you later!

Jim - We should text then.. that sounds perfect to me! I'd get to be in touch with you more, but not be pressured for sex. ;P