Wednesday, March 09, 2011

A humorous look at a serious topic.. I'm not REALLY this shallow.

According to my horoscope today, I am supposed to be intellectually involved in a group discussion about Metaphysics. I guess it's laughable that I didn't know what the word "metaphysics" meant. So I googled it and here's what the definition is, apparently.

Metaphysics is defined as the branch of philosophy that examines the true nature of reality, whether visible or invisible. It includes the relationship between mind and matter, substance and attribute, and fact and value. Basically, metaphysics is the philosophical study of being and knowing. It is very closely related to spirituality, but it is not a religion. It has been used to cover any one or a combination of the following subjects: Philosophy, Parapsychology, Mysticism, Yoga, ESP, Dreams, Jungian Psychology, Astrology, Meditation, Self-Help Studies, Positive Thinking, Life after Death, Reincarnation, etc… A metaphysics introduction must mention each of these topics to be complete. As they are each important parts of metaphysics.

So, I'm up for that. Which one should we talk about? The silly thing is that I don't even know what some of those things listed within the topic of metaphysics are! What the heck is Jungian Physchology and I'm not really sure I know what Parapsychology is.. is it the study of ghosts?

Ok. So Philosophically speaking.. what is the meaning of life? There's got to be a more to it than just sex and love. It's got to have something to do with measuring the amount of happiness and achievement in any given day, culminating to a rewarding week, month, year.. decade etc. I guess if you have more happy days than sad or angry ones, you've maybe got the meaning of life figured out.

I'm skipping paraphyscology cuz if it means ghosts, they freak me out and I don't want to get freaked out right now, I'm home alone. LOL

Mysticism... Well, I already discussed the movie "Mystic Pizza" the other day. Does that count?

Yoga. A friend of mine told me that I should try Bikram's Hot Yoga. So I looked it up and at the time it wasn't offered in Red Deer. But now it's being done downtown. I should go check that out. Also, I read an article in Cosmo this month. It was 25 fun things to do naked. Can you believe it listed YOGA?! Naked yoga. It said to go with your best friend, but make sure to be in front of him/her, so that while they did the downward dog you didn't get the "full view". Please, take a moment and picture that before moving on. Get the full visual in your head. Titties hanging down, punies hanging out... I guess if I go do that, I'll have to really make sure all my hairs are perfectly in place. Have to have a stylin strip down there.

ESP. My son always says he can only read cats' minds. I tell him I can read his mind all the time. I do wish I had this ability. Think of how easy life would be if you could read the minds of those around you, or your loved ones. You'd never fuck up. Wait, am I confusing telepathy with ESP? Great. Now I have to go do another google search.

Dreams. I'll skip that one, just read my post from a couple of days ago and we'll call that one discussed. However, I do find dreams fascinating, and I like to look mine up in a dream book my soul sis bought me for my birthday last year.

Jungian Ph-blah-de-blah. I'll have to google that one too.

Astrology. This is really cool and I'm starting to learn more and more about it and believe more and more about it. I love how the personalities of people are defined by when they were born and what impact the alignment of the planets has on our attitudes and behaviors on a daily basis. According to astrology, my best mate match is a Scorpio. I love knowing that. And knowing what my son's inherent characteristics are helps me deal with him properly. There's a rea science to it all. Me, though.. I just like to dabble in it on a somewhat superficial level. I did, however, pay $30 to get an astrological forecast done. It's very specific for some dates. I'll let you know as they arrive and pass whether they were true or not.

Meditation. I don't meditate. Although the other day I was crying and my son came up to me and said "Mommy, when I'm upset I just do this and it helps me..." and he proceeded to sit cross legged on my bed, and put his hands in that meditative pose and said "Aummmmmmmm". LOL Did I spell that right?

I'm skipping self help studues and positive thinking. They sort of go hand in hand and we all know already that being positive about life is way better than being negative.

Life after Death, Reincarnation. I firmly believe that our spirits move on to bigger and better things once these bodies expire. We take with us our past experiences and that's what helps us have that common sense about things, cuz we've already been there done that a million times. It's also where deja-vu comes from. Right? LOL I think you can be reincarnated into anything living that will expire again. So.. not rocks. And I'm not sure about plants. But living breathing things. Maybe not amoeba's either. You can't become just a single celled organism. Anyway.. even if it's not true, I still believe in that because it's better than the alternative and I like to exercise the power of positive thinking! ;P

Wow. That post rivals Tys' in terms of length. Hope you managed to stick with me, I don't usually write this long of posts. But you know what? If it gave you even one chuckle as you read it, or even just made you crack a smile, then it was all worthwhile, right?

Jules :O)

4 comments:

SIMON said...

Well I stuck with it and I did smile in a kind of metaphysical way, then laughed.
Nice one!!

Tys on Ice said...

i cud swear i left a comment for this and it just disappeared.

anyways , compared to my novelette, this is mere paragraph..

but isnt it spooky that ur horoscope turned out true?...shivvvveeers...

don said...

I think that mantra is "Om".
Different mantras for different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_mani_padme_hum

I think cats read your mind before you read theirs..

Jules said...

Si - well thanks for hanging in there!

Tys - you're totally right.. mere paragraph. Is it the horoscope that made me write the post, or was I destined to write it before I even read the horoscope?

Don - Thank you for the link! I should have been saying the whole mantra, that day I needed help in everything! Om mani padme hum! Cats are super sensory... Manny always knows when something's wrong with me.