Monday, April 04, 2011

eating a little Indian...

Tys wanted me to try some good Indian home cooking, so tonight I had the opportunity to oblige. I followed it exactly, well.. as exactly as I could, not fully knowing what slit green chilis means. I think I did that? Anyway, here's the photo of mine and the recipe (it looked quite a bit more yellow on my plate. My review is at the bottom.
take a saucepan.
chop some (1) onions, slit some (2) green chilis.
open a can of tuna drain the water.
have one cup of rice, washed and ready.
now the cooking.
heat oil in a pan, saute the onion, add the chilis, add a pinch of tumeric and salt to taste.
once the thingy is golden in color, add the tuna chunks, just roll it in without breaking the tuna.
now add the rice and pour 2 cups of water.
stir the whole thing slighty and then leave to simmer in low flame... read a book or say hello to mr.vibrator
come back to kitchen to check on cooked rice (clue: the water would have all steamed and the rice will be slightly wet and there will be some steam vents on the rice)..
switch off the gas, cover the pan let it cool for a bit..
now grab a plate, pile on the tuna rice, add some pickles and enjoy..
It's easy to put together, assuming you have green chilis and tumeric. I borrowed the tumeric from my sister. I totally enjoyed the meal, but I might have put too much spice into the recipe... I may have added a little bit much simmering with Mr. Magic. I have to say I did have a healthy serving of that and it made for weak knees as I stood stirring the rice. Does it matter if you come to the dinner table with messy hair? ;P

I texted my boyf to say "my lips are on fire!" and he texted back "they always are!" *giggle* I just thought I'd add that in because it really made me smile. I wondered which pair he was talking about cuz technically since I followed the recipe exactly, both sets were feeling hot.

Thank you for the delicious dish, Tys! Next time I'll handle the chilis more carefully.. I sort of burned my fingers while I was taking out the seeds! Jules :O)

6 comments:

The Grunt said...

There was a little part of me that hoped this post was about Native American dwarfs.

SIMON said...

Hey hot lips!! Just slightly too much info at that point (LOL) but the food looks and I'm sure tasted delicious and maybe as with all experiments - next time you will hit it just right!

Tys on Ice said...

god I love that title.

but kudos to you for trying this out. Its my comfort food. Takes abt 15 mins to make. Kind of forgot to mention that yoghurt is a good accompaniment

Jules said...

Grunty - Wow.. that's really.. strange and quite demented. I knew there was a reason I liked you!

Si - I think it was just right, I just needed to handle the chilis with gloves or something. :)

Tys - I can only imagine why. Hope you didn't blush too much. LOL I can't eat yogurt right now. It all has some degree of sugar in it.

Siddhartha Joshi said...

Hahaha...this is a funny post :) Btw whats the name of the dish?

Jules said...

Sids! Welcome to my blog! Here's your ((free hug)) for stopping by and saying hello. It's nice to meet you.

I have no idea what the name of the dish is, but it was yummy. I've made it twice now. I think Tys just calls it Tuna Rice.

Hope to see you around more. :)