Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back into do-it-yourself mode

I'm not sure whether it's just the fact that spring hit and now I feel the need to make things de-cluttered and clean, or if it's because I'm itching to sell my house and build a new one again, but it seems like all I've been doing for the last week is just hard core gutting, cleaning and making things much improved inside and outside. I always thought I'd be building a new place once I was remarried and had a partner to experience the joy of construction with, someone to share pride in ownership with, but that's just not happened as of yet and this antsy feeling is quite unshakable. I have to do some small home improvements before I could list the house. I need to hang two closet doors and trim out the basement windows and 2 closets. I wonder how long that would take me to do. I also need to lay baseboards, but I think I'll leave that for the new people. One project in the house to be done isn't exactly overwhelming. I don't know. I might not even trim out the closet doors. Just hang them.

Anyway. I have no idea what my house is really worth. I bought it for $320,000 and since then have put about $8000 into it, and that was 2.5 years ago now so I'm wondering if I could get $340,000 or more for it. If I can, it will be helloooooo new house with front attached garage and an en-suite. Glorious. That will be a house I'll be content to be in for a long time. So wish me luck! Once I finish cleaning and staging, I'll have the appraisals done. The builder I want to go with does a guaranteed home buy program, so even if my house doesn't sell, they buy it from me at the appraised price. So this whole thing hinges on the appraisal.

I'll be disappointed if I can't get what I need out of it, but I know it's just another year away then, maybe. I suppose I could hold out here in this house for another year. Or maybe sign a deal in the winter and move next summer.

It's about wanting to live in a house that will satisfy my needs, on a quiet close, with nicer neighbors (hopefully), closer to the north end of town, but not on the north end, close to amenities and not too far from Nate's school. I think I can make it work.

For now it's clean, clean, spiff up this, trash that, move those and voila! So that's what I've been up to.

Jules :O)


3 comments:

SIMON said...

Good luck of course! You will get what you want and it will be fantastic but you may have to be a 'bit' patient!!

The Grunt said...

Turbo nesting mode!

Jules said...

Si - Ya, I was looking on MLS and the market's still in a seller's slump. Great time to buy a new house, poor time to sell one.

Grunty - Nesting! I suppose it could be considered that!