Wednesday, August 03, 2011

I'm still trippin'

Inside Kootenay National Park again with Thor. These pics are actually in reverse order of how I took them, but I'm too lazy tonight to reverse them. So this first pic (last pic) was taken from Marble Canyon which turned out to be a really extreme gem. I'm happy I stopped there to collect myself after parting ways. It was just what I needed. It's in a Canyon that was ravaged by forest fire in 2003, and the extreme opposite between the burned bits and the new bits just makes my heart sing. To know that even from ashes arises something so beautiful is both reassuring and breathtaking. When I look at an area burned by forest fire, I don't see loss, I see survival.


I must be getting braver. This was the second spider on a daisy that attracted my attention..


Looking off towards the highway, you don't see the greys of the fire. All you see are these enormous mountains and a plethora of wildflowers. There were so many colors.. blue, purple, pink, red, orange, yellow, white, all the shades of green... a natural forest in bloom is really an amazing sight.


A happy (bug free) daisy basking in the glory of the warm sunlight.


Thor and I went on a 2 hour hike to Dog Lake in Kootenay Park. There was still little bits of snow on the peaks of the mountains in the background there, and Stanley Glacier isn't too far from this location, by car. The water seemed clear until we took a swim in it and stirred up the silty mud beneath the surface. I think I sank up to my knees. Still, it was fun to be a bit naughty.


A forest full of wonder. I wondered what would happen if Alice ate these mushrooms...

At the start of the hike (remember we're going in reverse order here) we passed over Kootenay River on this really fun bouncy bridge. I want to make love on that bridge at night. I think it'd be fun.. except for the danger of being eaten by a bear. I don't know why you can't see the mountains here, because they surrounded us 360 degrees. Just the wrong angle or the trees were too tall from this vantage point, I guess.

This was the first daisy I stopped to take a pic of this trip, and low and behold, it contained a spider. If you blow it up and look at the spider's body, it looks like an alien brain. Well it does to me. I really do think I'm becoming used to these little critters.. somewhat. If you know me at all, you'd highly praise my ability to even get this close to one.

Radium Hot Springs took up the remainder of our time this trip. It's so relaxing and entertaining to be immersed in the springs. It's especially perfect after a day of hiking on the park.

Jules :Oahh!

2 comments:

SIMON said...

I'm impressed at your bravery with the spiders, just goes to show that love (of daisies) is stronger than anything.
I love your opinion on "Phoenix" Canyon, everybody needs somewhere like that.

Jules said...

Ya they should have called it that. However, the walls of the canyon where the river cuts through the rock does look like marble, so I'm sure that was why it was named as such.