Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn at Abraham Lake in Alberta

Thor came to visit on the weekend and it was a spectacular time. We visited Friday night and then Saturday we went for a bike ride followed by a trip to the mountains.. our favorite destination and the place that I think we both feel most "at home" in. Or certainly the most "at peace" in. Such a wonder, they are, standing tall and waiting to be admired and appreciated. Much like how I look toward Thor himself... standing tall and most adored.

Here's a nice view from on top of what's got to be the windiest place on earth. I think it's called Windy Point and it's so windy that it just about knocks you right over. I'd never let a small child stand there, they'd be carried away in an instant. Abraham Lake is a rich and vibrant turquoise lake by day and as the sun settles behind the mountains, it becomes a medium blue color, not quite as striking, but still beautiful. The mountains surrounding it stay beautiful regardless of the time of day. I'm actually up quite high here, looking down, it doesn't look like it in the pic though.

I zoomed in on a tree that is somehow able to survive that daily beating of insufferable winds. You can see how rough the water was in this photo. Not exactly fit for boating of any sort on a day as windy as this one was.

We drove around the lake until we found a good spot to hop out of the car and enjoy a picnic lunch (which became supper) after a short walk down to the water's edge. It was sheltered where we sat, just a few meters below the bright yellow birch tree amongst the boulders and rocky edge leading to the water.

The next day we hopped onto our bikes and toured Red Deer's trail system and different neighborhoods. I'm not sure how far we traveled, but we were out for over 3 hours, with just one real break to eat lunch, and a few tiny stops else wise. It was an incredible joy showing Thor the city from this viewpoint and it was such a beautiful ride, as the Fall colors are in full show right now, making the air smell it's sweet and musty Autumnal scent. I should have taken this photo with his bike in the pic too, not sure why I didn't. Oh well. We got home mid afternoon, did some bike clean up and then relaxed the evening away to round out an amazing weekend together.

I consider myself very lucky to be able to share my life with Thor. He seems to make everything look brighter, smell better, taste yummier, feel warmer and sound cheerier. Life is just smoother and more satisfying when he's around.

Jules :O!

6 comments:

SIMON said...

Abraham Lake is so photogenic and a beautiful place to be. Some lovely pics from a seemingly amazing weekend summed up by your last paragraph!!

don said...

The second photo down is amazing.

Jules said...

Si - yes, it was top notch!

Don - Thank you! For the amount of wind there was I'm surprised I could snap that. But it helped having someone to hang onto me to make sure I didn't fly away.

Siddhartha Joshi said...

The places seems to be really nice...and the second pic is absolutely awesome...the wild wild water...

Jules said...

Sids - Wow.. coming from you, such a wonderful photographer, I really appreciate that comment!

Siddhartha Joshi said...

You are most welcome, and thanks to you as well for the compliments :)