Thursday, June 14, 2012

This can't be good.....

It really starts to make you think something's up when you notice people in these suits obviously doing something important, being photographed by a guy in an official looking uniform. 



It's not until you follow the whole scene and watch it play out for a moment that you notice what it's all about. In this case, it was about a MASSIVE swarm/nest of yellowjackets taking up residence in this poor innocent tree in the parking lot of Collicutt Center. This swarm was very active, with literally hundreds of wasps flying around and swarming the trunk of the tree. I'd say it measured at least a foot and a half high by a foot wide. Excuse the poor quality of the photos, I wasn't brave enough to roll down my windows to take the shots....


... but I don't think you would blame me... would you? Here's a zoom in of just that one small section where those branches cross in the above photo. This freaks me out to no end. If you're wandering around there, be safe in the west parking lot. I won't be walking around there anytime soon.


Jules :Oyikes!

5 comments:

SIMON said...

Well done for the pics and for not winding the window down!!
Added to all that - wasps are so stupid too!!

don said...

Those look like bees to me. Maybe even african ones. Most likely they are honey bees.

Jules said...

Si - I made a big mistake! Those aren't wasps at all... still overwhelming and scary though.

Don - Thank you for correcting me!! I really had no clue. But here's further evidence to back up your thoughts:

http://www.shutterpoint.com/Photos-ViewPhoto.cfm?id=551986

That's exactly what this was looking like.

SIMON said...

Ha ha sorry for calling your bees stupid!! Reminds me when I reported that we had a lot of bees at work and was told Oh we can't get rid of them they are hornets!!

Quiet Paths said...

That is amazing. Our friend has a hive of bees and they do not bother me but this would give me the chills. Not in a good way.