Saturday, August 25, 2012

feeling much better

Upon discussing this issue about Thanan with Thor last night, we decided that the lines between parent and friend may be blurred therefor Thanan tries to rule to coop, as if he was playing with a friend. He likely considers himself my equal rather than my subordinate, so to speak. So now I'm going to work on being less of a playmate for him and more of a ... parent. That sounds odd because I'm a good parent, but seeing as how he's an only child, I feel like I have to take time to play with him too, to occupy him, and I think in doing this, I have created a situation where he doesn't understand that when I say something I mean it.  I've always wanted to have a really open and friendly relationship with him so that he grows up knowing I'm approachable with any issues or questions he might have, but this could really be where I've gone wrong. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyway.. I felt infinitely better after having discussed this with Thor last night. Thank God for him. Wish me luck on my new journey.. changing over from being my son's best friend to his Mom.

Jules :O)


3 comments:

SIMON said...

Good luck on your new journey but you will find that it is a big wide road with space to be both best friend and Mom a lot of the time.

The Grunt said...

My mom used to spank the crap outta me and I still loved her more than anyone on earth. I hope your efforts make things even better for you and your family.

Jules said...

Si - I'm aiming for friend and mom.. he should have a little boy best friend, I think. Now, anyway...

Grunty - It's funny how that works. I think at the end of the day, kids do want to please their parents. I rarely lay hands on him, but once in a while it's necessary. He still loves me.