Saturday, August 18, 2012

Front garden

I added this flowerbed made out of dry-stacked stones that I found in a lot for a house that's being built a couple of weeks ago. I can't pass up the opportunity to collect rocks and add to my dry creek bed, so this was the result. I lined it with a plastic landscape fabric so as to keep the whole thing a bit more capable of holding soil and maintaining soil. I planted 2 perennials and transplanted a few annuals. I don't know if I'll keep the perennials in there. I thought they'd look pretty as they spilled over the front (the white flowers and the yellow flowers), but I'm not sure they'll over winter well being out of the ground there. 

People walk past my yard and compliment me on it every time I'm out there working on it. I guess all the hard work and planning has paid off. Now there are just little improvements to make here and there. I need to go buy a blue star juniper, for one thing, and plant it in front of those tiny iris and day lillies in the photo. 


I've been working in the back yard more lately. Building a bench with a pergola over top of it. Essentially, I'm working on creating a little secret garden retreat. It's almost ready.

Why own a house with a yard if you don't take pride in ownership and work to improve it's value... right?

Jules :Oj

4 comments:

SIMON said...

People are right to compliment you on your garden/yard an awful lot of hard work has gone in to it over the years.

A picture can not ever do it justice, unless it's before and after!

Jules said...

I think I should spend more time out front, just so more passersby can tell me how nice the yard looks. LOL

Nisha Jha said...

I agree with Simon here. What a lovely sight it is! And I quite liked that lamp-post. :)

My dad used to work in our garden & it was the best in our colony with small waterfalls, and a small hill etc. I still remember it.

Nisha - Le Monde-A Poetic Travail

Jules said...

Oh wow, waterfalls? Wonderful! I wish I had a larger property to do that sort of thing on. So beautiful! I must consider adding a water feature!