Thursday, August 30, 2012

outdoor space

Progress update: Here is what I have completed so far in the back corner of my back yard. I call it my "secret garden". I got the old door from my mom's boyf's daughter who was tearing down an old farmhouse, the old window from friends and I built the bench and pergola. I installed the lattice on the side of the door and window (it's difficult to see beside the window, but it's there), because I want to grow Virginia Creeper across the pergola and create a private little romantic "room" so to speak. It'll eventually creep over top of the door and down the side of it there as well. Then, when that tree you see in the foreground grows bigger it will create a real sense of privacy back there to just go retreat to with a book and a beer... or a cup of tea... or whatever. 


I'll probably put stepping stones along the ground there so that you can walk and not hurt your feet on the mulch (Thor's suggestion, and a good one).

Might be nice to make love back there someday. 

Jules :ODIYGirl)

6 comments:

SIMON said...

That is really beautiful, well done!

I thought at first the last line was way too much information but on the other hand you do need to check out its ultimate secrecy and privacy don't you?!!

The Grunt said...

Good work!

As far as a place to make love, why not? It will give your neighbors something to talk about.

Jules said...

Si - thank you, it's very private back there now. Most private spot in my yard.

Grunty - I'm always up for being the talk of the town...

Quiet Paths said...

That looks great; good job. We've decided we are addicted to building things now that we've finished the deck... it's strangely satisfying.

Jules said...

It's totally satisfying to build your own stuff, as long as it turns out well! LOL

Angelina Garcia said...

Oh yes, vines! They’re perfect for the structure. The Virginia Creeper will be the thing to inject some color to your outdoor living area. It would make possible the idea of a ‘secret garden’ and a ‘romantic room’ combined in one space. And I think the bench and whatever wickerwork you’ll add will look good on white. ;]

Angelina ^.^