Friday, August 10, 2012

Pie time

Well speaking of firsts... I made a pie.

First I made tarts, to test out my filling, and then I made a pie, I should say.  Thor sent me a link to a blog post he did when his mom taught him how to bake a pie and with his gentle support, I decided to go ahead and do it. I have no real need for a pie, personally, but I've been invited to a gathering where there's supposed to be a chili cook off contest and a pie contest. The men are supposed to bring chili and the women are supposed to bring pie. So ok... I made an apple/pear/strawberry pie.

Here's the filling, simmering down on the stove top first. According to Thor's post, this was the way to do strawberry/rhubarb to avoid bubbling over, so I thought I'd do the same.


Here are the tarts as they cooked. I think I could have left them in a little while longer... the crust could have gotten a tad bit more golden.


A finished tart with some whipped cream on top... it tasted good, but it was really sweet. Far too much sugar for me to be eating. I put 3/4 cup of sugar, and I think sensibly it really only needed 1/4 because all 3 fruits are already sweet. Ironically, the real whipped cream subdued the sweetness. It might have helped if I had a recipe to follow... but I tend to be one of those experimental cooks.


So with the tarts turning out ok, I decided to go ahead and use the rest of my filling to make an actual pie. Here it is in the raw. I should have fluted the edge more. I was not about to go full out and make the pie crust from scratch, so if that means I don't get credit, then so be it. But I have to at least get some points for making the filling and baking it. It would have been much easier to just pick one up from the store.


The finished pie. The flash on my camera makes it look less golden than it actually is. I hope it turned out. Won't really know until we cut into it tomorrow, I guess. I've decided to adorn it with a sign that says:

"Julie's 1st Pie.. Eat At Your Own Risk" with a gravestone picture underneath. I think it at least looks pie-like. So that's a good thing.


Jules :O!

4 comments:

SIMON said...

Congratulations on your first pie!!
You don't lose many points for not doing it from scratch, I'm sure before long you will do that too!

I would love to be able to taste it but I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks!!

Steak and Kidney next hey?!!

Jules said...

I suppose the whole food pie thing has been opened up now, yes. Steak and kidney I don't know though, haven't had one of those in a long time. Maybe I'll try chicken pot pie....

Quiet Paths said...

Wow, nice job. I am the pie maker in my family so yeah!

Jules said...

YAY, QP! I haven't had the inkling to do this again since then, but at least now I know I can accomplish it.