Sunday, August 05, 2012

Shades of white, brown and grey...

No, this isn't some sort of weird advertisement for the Shades of Grey novel series. It's just some critters I took some snaps of on my holiday. Nothing extraordinary, but cute anyway. We saw a moose, some buffalo  and a bear as well, but I didn't get the chance to photograph them. I took pics of happy little chipmunks and a rabbit, and saw squirrels too, but they all move too fast to photograph well with my camera. 

Here's Spunky. I put him there by the phone in the hotel on the way down there and thought I'd taken him with me, but to my major dismay, I accidentally left him behind. Thankfully, Thor had his thinking cap on and his sympathy was in full force and he called the hotel the next morning of the discovery that he was missing and secured him in waiting for when I passed back through Cardston. Phewph. To feel more at home, we hunted around until we found him a twin brother who did his job in making memories with us for this trip. We didn't see any real mountain goats this time, as Highline Trail where they like to hang out was still closed to foot traffic, but here's a pic of my goat to fill in the gap. 



They call these ground squirrels. I thought they were pika, but apparently that's much smaller and more mouse-like. These squirrels squeak and stand up at attention. Sort of like a cross between a gopher and a meerkat. They're cute and they're everywhere in Glacier National Park.


Here's a marmot! We were sitting at a private spot on Logan Pass and as we were walking back to the building, we noticed this little guy standing there perched on the rocks we had traversed not a half an hour before. He just stood there and took us in for a while and then he wobbled off slightly up the hill.



This was the first bighorn sheep we saw, a very young one. I thought for sure since it was there at Two Medicine campground, that it would mean there would be a herd of them... but I only saw this one. I didn't think they were solitary creatures..


What's your favorite mountain animal to come across?

Jules :O)

7 comments:

SIMON said...

I just love jack rabbits and hares! I have only ever seen and photographed one gopher and that was in Canada and they seem quite fun!!

Jules said...

These ground squirrels are far more colorful and fun to watch than gophers here. I like them.

The Grunt said...

I like coming across elk. They have the best antlers.

I wish I would come across bigfoot right when I'm taking video.

Quiet Paths said...

That is adorable. Okay, I'm a big mush, I admit it. Now there are two. Now that is even mushier but I can't help myself. Great shots of the Marmots. There were quite a few of those at Bowman too. As far as I remember they've always been a feature in the park. Cardston, now do I ever have memories of that place. It's a dry town right?

Quiet Paths said...

Try to buy your awesome apple cider in a dry town and watch what happens...

Jules said...

Grunty - I came across some elk in Kootenay National Park a while ago, but I don't see them much here. Do let me know if you're ever successful with that bigfoot thing!

QP - Wow... now I'm curious! I have no idea if it's a dry town, but I'm sort of afraid to find out! LOL

Jules said...

AP - P.S. We love our Spunky goats, too. We're all mushies, I guess. :)