Sunday, September 23, 2012

Red Lentil Veggie Soup

I made another soup. This time no meat, no rice, just soup.

Following the same sort of procedure as last time, I just cut up veggies, put them on the stove top with enough water to cover and then another 2 cups more, let it all simmer together and then blended it in the pot with the emulsion blender (but it was a bit messy). It was yummy. Here's what I used, but don't ask me for measurements, as I just sort of threw stuff in without measuring. Use your judgement if you're going to make it. I'll estimate. This made a fair amount, about 4 servings.

Here it is while cooking.

Here it is blended, just so you can see the color and texture.

2 cups baby carrots (chopped)
1.5 cups green cabbage (chopped)
1 medium sweet potato/yam (orange flesh, cubed)
1.5 cups red lentils (approx)
2 tbsp cayenne pepper (adjust for desired spiciness)
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)

Simmer on stove until everything is mostly tender and then blend it, if it seems a bit too thick, add a splash of water, but then taste for spices and readjust. Yum! It is absolutely healthy and filling! High nutrient value, no preservatives, very low sodium (depending on how much salt you add), and packed full of vitamins. I suggest serving it with a few chopped up leeks just tenderly sitting on the surface, or if you don't have those, just use green onion.

Jules :O)

3 comments:

don said...

That looks really good!

SIMON said...

Another beautiful 'made up' recipe and this one is more appealing for me to actually try!! I just love soups. Even more so since my Cuban visit!

Jules said...

Don - I'll make it for us!

Si - Go on then, try it..