Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sunshine Chicken Stew

I was inspired by a Doctor Oz show which focused on the topic of healthy eating. Actually, it focused on Dr. Fuhrman's concept of being a Nutritarian (which basically means striving to eat wholesome foods that are high in micronutrients). It's not rocket science, but it is considered new science. Have a look (linked above). He claims to be able to reverse disease with food and eliminate the need for medications. That's got to be a great thing (even though prescription pushes and pharmaceutical companies would probably disagree).  Anyway, because it inspired me, I ended up making this totally delicious stew for supper, which I'm calling Sunshine Chicken Stew due to the warmth and color of it. I had no recipe to follow at all, I just went into my fridge, pulled out some things that I thought should taste good together and started to cook. It's not in any way based on Dr. Furman's theories, it's just what I felt like making.

If you follow this recipe, you will not be disappointed. It was really hearty, warming and satisfying. Not to mention healthy. It only takes about 30 - 40 minutes to make from start to finish on a regular stove top (and really, the hardest part is dicing vegetables which can be done ahead of time). This recipe made 3 supper sized servings (just increase the amounts if you need more food). Try making it for your supper tonight!

Ingredients:
3 Large Carrots (peeled and chopped small)
1 Med/Small Zucchini (somewhat peeled, diced)
1/2 Large Red Bell Pepper (diced)
1/2 Large Orange Bell Pepper (diced)
1/2 Small Yellow Onion (diced)
1 Medium Sweet Potato or Yam (orange flesh)
2 Cloves Garlic (freshly pureed)
6 Chicken Thighs (boneless/skinless)
2 Cups Brown Rice (cooked)
Salt and Pepper (to your liking)
3 Cups Water

Method:
Pre-cook brown rice and set aside (hint: I used 'Minute Rice Fully Cooked Whole Grain Brown Rice' because I like it's texture). Brown rice is infinitely better for you than white rice. Don't argue. Just do it.

Dice all vegetables so they are of similar size (make carrots smaller as they take longer to cook) and throw them into a pot with the water. You want enough water to cover the vegetables plus a little bit extra (3 cups did the trick for me). Add in the garlic and salt and pepper. Cover and allow this to boil until most of the veggies are tender.

While the veggies are cooking, in a separate pot, simply salt and pepper the chicken thighs, and slowly boil in water until cooked. When cooked, dice them up into small bite sized pieces and set aside (discard the broth if you want to be healthy, you don't need it for flavor anyway).

Once the veggies are cooked, don't drain the water. I used an emulsion blender and just blended all the veggies/water together in the pot I boiled it in (you might be able to use a traditional blender, I'm not sure). It makes a thick soupy broth. Add in the pieces of chicken and stir in the warm rice. That's it, it's ready to serve!


I added a buttered piece of ancient grain bread to sop up the yummy goodness in the bowl when I was done with my spoon.

Who'd have thought I could pull something so good off without having a recipe?!

Jules :Oyumm)

5 comments:

Quiet Paths said...

That looks delicious.

SIMON said...

Sounds lovely, looks delicious and so many classic dishes are made up as they go along like that. Well done! Oh and beautifully named!!!

Jules said...

QP - Try it! It really was a nice stew!

Si - Thank you, cook it and see what you think :)

don said...

That looks really good too!

Jules said...

Don, I think I liked this one better than the lentil soup, actually. But it wasn't spicy and the soup was, a smidge.