Wednesday, October 24, 2012

what one word means...

Julie.
Defined, it means:  a popular French first name which originally comes from the Latin Julia which could mean youthful, soft-haired, beautiful or vivacious. It is the feminine form of Julius, and can be a pet form of Julia, or Juliette (from Wikipedia).

To me it means: 
Mother.
Daughter.
Sister.
Partner.
Auntie.
Friend.
Carer.
Hard Worker.
Enthusiast.

... Cancer Survivor.

I found out the results of my biopsied thyroid. 
It had cancer in both sides of it.

I thought I was having difficulty accepting my scar, but now my scar means that my life was saved. Today, I don't hate my scar. I am thankful for it. I get some more time to raise my son, to love my loved ones, to do the things I have left un-done, to enjoy life. 

I had a bad feeling about the nodules ever since they were first detected some 5 years ago. I was tired all the time, and I began to have darkened circles under my eyes, and many health issues. My systems weren't quite.. right, I could tell. It took until now to figure it out. I'll go see my surgeon in about 2 weeks and will discuss whether further tests or treatments are required. I have some adjustments to make and I have to get to know my new body, as things feel a bit foreign to me right now, but I am grateful for this to be finally diagnosed and treated. I am scared that some of it may have spread, although people are reassuring me that probably isn't the case because thyroid cancer doesn't typically grow fast nor does it typically spread to other areas. It is probably an irrational fear, but one I have to deal with emotionally nonetheless. I do feel blessed, at this point. I'll know more after I talk to the surgeon. Until then, I'm going to do my best to think and stay positive. 

Afterall, what is better than a new lease on life ... ... right? 

Jules :Owow...

9 comments:

SIMON said...

Nothing is better than a new lease of life and no one deserves it more than such a special person as you.

"Positive Survivor."

The Grunt said...

I'm glad that you got that sucker out of you. Let's hope and pray that the rest of you is cancer free.

Jules said...

Si - Thank you.

Grunty - I have a follow up treatment to undergo, but it will be fine. I'm sure after that, I'll be in remission. Hopefull, anyway.

don said...

It's a good thing you went in and kept after it.

Jules said...

It's a good thing I have the support of those who love me to push me to do so... :*

Quiet Paths said...

Oh boy. Well, I'm glad you had the surgery. Emotionally it will take some adjustment but yes, stay positive because it's gonna' be alright. Still in my thoughts and prayers.

Jules said...

Thank you QP. That means alot. (hug)

Dean Grey said...

You. Go. Girl!!

-Dean

Jules said...

Dean - I totally am going!! like, lightening fast! :) Thank you!