Sunday, January 06, 2013

Tribute to a dish.. and to a beautiful person

Well this morning I had butter fingers and I dropped, and consequently shattered, my favorite dish of 14 years. It was a ceramic bowl that was given to me by a college professor and Co-Department Head, Linda Moreau, after I graduated with honors and subsequently worked in the program I graduated from thereafter for the following 1.5 years. It was my going away gift, from Linda, who was such a down to earth and soothing,  nurturing person. She was really an inspiration to me. 

I used this bowl whenever I wanted to eat something that would warm and soothe my soul.  All alone on a weekend of solitude, on a cold day in winter, my soups or stews never tasted as good as when they were eaten from this ceramic bowl. Every time I used it, I thought of Linda, her warm nature, how gentle she always was and how comforted she always made me feel. She was the epitome of what we all should be. Most accepting, most rewarding, most open to people, cultures, ability levels, always greeting life with a smile. Such a wonderful person to be blessed to know. 

Unfortunately, I lost track of Linda.. and I get a bit misty eyed when I think of that reality... but I always had this bowl she gave me... until now. 


Jules :O(

3 comments:

SIMON said...

Sorry about your bowl.
It is amazing how material things can remind you of people though isn't it?

Jules said...

Yes, especially when you've taken it for granted. They say you don't know what you've got till it's gone. That's me and my bowl. Now the hunt is on for a suitable replacement.

Quiet Paths said...

I liked reading this post especially because I've broken some loved pieces in my day.So sorry about that; I know how it feels.