Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Do's and re-do's...

I haven't been blogging much, because I've been in a rush to accomplish a goal I've set for myself.

My whole web designing career (back in the day), I used a very basic illustration program called Microsoft Image Composer. I went and took an Adobe Photoshop course at the college here way back when, but it didn't seem to do what I needed it to do at the time, so I defaulted back to Image Composer. It was easy, straightforward, and I could design some pretty cool stuff for the web with relative ease.

Well, when it came time to illustrate my book, all I had was good ol' Image Composer, so off I went on my merry little way, illustrating with it. Then to make a long story short, when it came time for me to go through the process of print-on-demand for my book, I couldn't do it because Image Composer isn't a good enough program, and it wouldn't save my work in 300 dpi. I took a very small leap of faith and got a book printed using my illustrations anyway, despite the warning that they gave me about it possibly being pixelated when printed. I just had to see if it would work out.

I got my draft print book in the mail about a week and a half ago now and that day I went from total elation, from actually having a hard copy of it in my hands, to lower than low, because I realized they were right. The quality of the graphics was ALMOST good enough, but I wasn't happy with what pixelation did occur. So with Thor's encouragement to learn a better program, he suggested I work in Adobe Illustrator, I went in search for a downloadable trial. I was anxious about it. I thought that it would be too difficult to learn, and seem backwards like Adobe Photoshop did way back years ago. I was afraid of failure, or of not being smart enough to figure out how to use the program.

To my surprise, it's been easy to learn and understand. So since I downloaded the trial, I've completely re-illustrated 4 of my Moms Are Magic pages, and actually, while they are the same, they are much smoother looking, much better quality and I am able to save them in the resolution I will need to get my hard copies made. It's taking up a lot of my time right now, because I wanted to try and get it done before my trial ends. I think I have 26 days left, or something like that. This weekend, I'll have to myself, for the most part, so I imagine I will be doing a lot of drawing.

So.. sorry for my absence. I will try to remember to come check in more often. For now though, wish me luck on getting my illustrations re-done in time!

Jules :O)

2 comments:

SIMON said...

I'm sure the hard work and time will pay off in the end.
Good luck on the re dos.

Jules said...

thank you! i'm getting there!