Thursday, July 04, 2013

Got some figuring out to do...

I have put in 17 years in the field I'm currently working in. I've always done this. I've always been a carer for people in one form or fashion. It's what I love to do, it's what defines me. It's super rewarding and I have always felt a great deal of satisfaction with my work. I am highly praised and respected in my place of employment and I have a great reputation for offering quality care for the people I have worked with.

But recently, I have been feeling closer and closer to burn out stage with my current position. Add to it, the stress that the government has imposed upon this industry that I'm in, and the toll that's taking on my health and well being, and I just don't know if I can stay in my current role.

I looked online tonight for a job that I can do that will pay me enough money to sustain my household, minus my foster guy living here and all of his expenses. I found something that I'm going to think about and figure out over the weekend whether I can afford to apply for it or not. It's still within the industry I'm in and I have a lot of experience doing the work they are describing, so I have half a chance of getting it, if I apply. The thing is, this job I currently have pays me a lot of money and it gives me freedoms with my son to make sure I am able to be there for him as needed. Those two things are pretty priceless, as far as life generally goes. I can, as a single parent, support my family and that is #1 priority. But it makes it nearly impossible for me to replace this job, because it pays so well and offers those freedoms. But for all the good things it gives me, it is stressful and difficult, too.  I'm starting to feel like it's time to do something else, where work isn't always at home with me.

If I don't apply for this one, I am going to upgrade my education and make myself qualified for something bigger and better, so that I can earn the same if not more money than I'm already doing, in a position where I'm still helping people, but where I leave work at work and not have the stress of it being in my home and in my face constantly.

I'm one of those people who is fairly good at a wide range of things, but I don't know if any one of those things is enough to make a different career out of. But I do know that the time to decide what I want to be when I grow up is fast approaching.

Jules :O?

2 comments:

SIMON said...

Oh, there are some tough decisions to be made there aren't there?
Your health and family obviously have to come first but when your job is also your family it doesn't make it any easier does it.
Good luck with all that but don't be rushing in to it.

Jules said...

Well shit.

He is family, isn't he. Crap.

Actually, I did the math and the numbers don't work for me while I'm still living as a single person. I'll have to wait till I'm married to change jobs.