Sunday, July 21, 2013

in harmony...

For Easter, Thor gave me my Kala ukulele. For my birthday, he gave me this gorgeous Blueridge tenor guitar. I guess he did that because the last few times we've been together, I strummed the bottom 4 strings of whatever guitar he happened to bring with him and quite enjoyed it. I love the sound of the tenor. I have it tuned the same as a 6 string guitar would be, minus the two bass strings, because it's a direct translation from the Uke. The chord names are different, but I know the fingering for lots of them from playing the Uke, so it's just a matter of transposing a little bit. So we're starting classic with easy songs like "Jesus Loves Me" and "Amazing Grace". We played Jesus Loves me last time we were together and totally bluegrassed it out with my tenor and Thor's mandolin. It totally was awesome. I can't wait to get back together and try Amazing Grace that way. Might seem pretty basic to some of you, but for me, who's never touched a stringed instrument prior to Easter, it's exciting.


And... I'm thrilled whenever we play together.. there's nothing quite like creating music together and having fun doing it with the ones you hold dear. Plus, it's exciting to learn a new skill, and have a new form of self expression.


Jules :Ostrummin)

3 comments:

SIMON said...

Welcome to yet another form of self expression and well done on all the 'stringed' progress you have made!!

Good job Jules!

Nisha Jha said...

Beautiful gift from Thor. Your happiness can be seen thru your post. :-)


I hope you are doing good, Jules. Keep smiling. :-)

Jules said...

Thanks Si, it's coming along.

Nisha - Thank you for commenting! Missed you around here! I'm doing ok! I'm glad my happiness is transparent!