Wednesday, July 17, 2013

No rest for the vivid...

Last night (or this morning, depending on how you want to look at it) at 3:49 am, I suddenly sat up in bed and threw off my blankets and in a sleep-walk type state, started to slap at the mattress because I was convinced that there was a spider the size of a tarantula (but not a tarantula) crawling on my legs in my sleep. Once I had given my mattress the appropriate beating of it's lifetime, I jolted from my bedroom, proceeded to walk to the kitchen (still in a non-awake yet somehow mildly aware state of consciousness), and turn on and off the kitchen lights looking for more spiders. Once I was satisfied that there were none there, I returned to my bed, slapped the mattress once more, and laid back down and went to sleep again.

Now, I'm not 100% sure how this sleep walking thing is supposed to go. Does the sleep walker usually have a recollection of events? Cuz it's like I'm not awake, but very slightly aware of what I'm doing. Normally, I actually wake myself up at some point, scold myself and take myself back to bed in a fully alert state. Last night I didn't achieve that state, but was still aware enough of what went on to write about it today. It was so vivid and real, yet not real at all. Do I sleep hallucinate? Is that was sleep walking is all about? Being in that alternate reality as if it were really happening...

Anyway.. I hope to not have a disturbed sleep tonight. Cuz that one was waaay weirder and impactful on me than the time I woke up and was folding dish towels and placing them at the foot of my bed.

Jules :Owtf?!

2 comments:

SIMON said...

I know that part of the 'sleep doing' experience can be influenced by stress and thought activity but usually the recollection of such somnambulistic jaunts is limited. I think scolding yourself and dealings with dish towels are probably preferable!
Love the title of the post by the way!!

Jules said...

Yes, I can be clever sometimes...