Friday, July 05, 2013

Skate Park Grand Opening...

My city has been building another skate park and wanted to have it open in time for Canada Day, but due to all the poor weather we've been having lately, it delayed the opening of it. We've had one downtown for a few years now, but we're busting at the seams, it seems, and we needed another one. So this one is on the north end of town, they had their grand opening today. There was a line-up that moved fast for free hot dogs, drinks, ice cream and chips, police officers that went around giving suckers to kids, a local radio station booming loud pumped up music to wheel to, and the perfect weather day to make this a huge success. 

I really have never gone to watch something like this before. I actually was surprised at how entertaining it was for me. I could have stayed there for hours just watching them all, and would have, but I had Thanan with me and he was excited for a while but then wanted to go. It was totally crowded, and there were all sorts of wheelers there: skate boarders, scooters, bikes.. and all sizes of participants from 5 or 6 years old up to mid-20's, I'd say. It was largely boys and men... and boys with long hair which confused Thanan and made him think there were girls. All of the young people wore helmets, none of the older people did. Thanan was in awe and said "I'm for SURE joining this!"... but I'm not putting money on that. 

I snapped a few action shots. Here they are! 





I was relieved to see that not everyone was wearing their pants down below their asses. Maybe that's a stereotype that's not true. I only saw one teenager dressed like that.

I'll definitely have to go back when I'm just hanging out and looking for something to do to kill some time, or maybe actually go downtown and watch them there, now that I know it's entertaining.

Jules :O)

2 comments:

SIMON said...

It is fun isn't it? I like the rivalry that exists between all the various disciplines... Scooters v bmx v skateboard v skating!!
You've planted a seed there with Thanan though!!

Jules said...

So much fun that I feel myself compelled to go back. Almost went back today, but ran out of time.

I'm not sure I've planted a seed, maybe with a few more visits I will. But do I want a daredevil son? Not really...