Friday, November 15, 2013

Cowards...

It has taken me a while to calm down enough to write this post.

About 2 weeks ago now, I was driving down a local street which intersected a major road in my city. The weather was on the cold side and it was a grey day. In my back seat was Thanan.

Standing on the corner outside a church, was a group of adults and their children. The children were holding signs of some kind, that I couldn't read from a distance, but which I clearly read as I pulled up to stop at the red light kitty corner from the people. As soon as I could read the signs, I let out a disgusted and disapproving grunt, unable to keep my silence for the sake of Thanan. When he asked me what was up with the people standing across the street, I had to simply say "I can't tell you. You're not old enough to understand the gravity of their protest, this is one thing you just don't need to know or be worried about. End of discussion, ok?"

Usually, I would be full of explanations and make sure Thanan fully understood and had answers to his question, but not this time.

On the corner stood 3 adults, 2 babies in slings, and 4 children about the age of 5 - 8 years old. In the CHILDREN'S hands were signs reading "Pro-Life.. Don't Kill a Child" and "We are against abortion".

Here's my issue. How dare adults use their children and make them stand on a corner holding signs for an issue they are clearly far too young to understand. It is nothing but child exploitation in one of its purest forms. If you, as an adult, have something to say about a subject, YOU say it. Don't involve your children who don't even know what intercourse is, let alone, pregnancy and abortion. Everyone has a right to have an opinion on any given issue. And everyone has the freedom of expression. I believe that everyone should have choices and freedoms based on their individual circumstances. But DO NOT try and tug at the heart strings of other people by making your child hold an anti-abortion sign on a corner outside a church on a cold grey day, waving and smiling at people as they drive by, not even having a clue what they are being exposed to.

That is just wrong.

Do it yourself, you cowards. If you have something to say, say it yourself. Leave your kids at home and figure out some other way to make an impact. All that did was infuriate me. I was far too disgusted at the whole scene to even think about the message you were attempting to send.

Jules >:O(


4 comments:

SIMON said...

I am with you 100% on this one as any sensible adults in the Western World should be!

Jules said...

Si - Right?!?! People can be so gross sometimes.

Quiet Paths said...

Yep. Well said. And that goes for other issues too; keep the kids (and pets) out of it.

Jules said...

Agreed, QP!