Sunday, December 08, 2013

Charming Valley...

Radium. December 7th. Friendly Innkeepers. Hot Springs. No major snow. Frigid temps... but I was never really cold because I was with Thor.

Here's a photo of a deer that went walking past our mountain view window at the Inn we love to stay at (taken through the window). She was the first of her herd to walk within view and stood there for some time, ears listening intently, making sure it was safe to carry on. Later on we saw a herd much the same as this one in Invermere on our way to a local artisan's craft Christmas market, which had lots of great local talent, including a lady who hand makes jewelry out of bicycle tire tubes that was pretty interesting. This valley really does have its charms.


The people that live local to the area aren't fond of the deer, nor are they all that fond of the sheep that have made their cozy little town their home. I was at a playground where the sheep all wanted to hang around the swing set, and the Grandmother cawed and cackled and shoooed the sheep all away, cursing under her breath so her grand daughter didn't hear. But I heard. And you know what? They are doing the best they can to adapt to an area that humans overtook. An area where they once just roamed free because it was their natural habitat. So I think that if the deer and the sheep want to wander through town and nibble on a plant here and there, that's probably just their right to do so. I don't know. Maybe I'd feel differently if I lived there all the time, but to me, it's charming and seeing the wildlife always makes me smile. 

Jules :O)

3 comments:

SIMON said...

Lovely pic especially through a window! Nice one!
I so agree about wildlife in urban areas - we have reduced their habitat to virtually zero and they were all there first!!

The Grunt said...

I remember once seeing a herd of about twenty deer in my yard at night. I was all excited until I realized that they were stripping the premises of all the vegetation. It's still cool to see big bucks, though.

Jules said...

Hmmm, you have two totally differing opinions.. I guess I can see both sides of the argument. I still love to see the wildlife I get to see though.