Thursday, March 06, 2014

Relationship Status Check...

I guess I must have been somewhere where this group was speaking about about violence prevention. They were handing out bookmarks and on them, it lists the qualities of a healthy relationship. They are:
  • Makes me feel safe
  • Makes me feel comfortable
  • Listens to me
  • Values my opinions
  • Supports what I want to do in life
  • Is truthful with me
  • Admits to being wrong
  • Respects me
  • Always tries to understand how I feel
  • Likes that I have other friends
  • Makes me laugh
  • Trusts me
  • Treats me as an equal
  • Respects my family
  • Understands my needs for time alone or with family
  • Accepts me as I am
They also list the warning signs of abuse and warn that if you see these, especially to an extreme, to rethink the relationship:
  • Is jealous
  • Is possessive
  • Tries to control me
  • Gets violent, loses temper quickly
  • Always blames me
  • Is sexually demanding
  • Keeps me from seeing my friends and family
  • Makes all of the decisions
  • Embarrasses me in front of others
  • Hits me
  • Makes me cry
  • Makes me feel afraid
  • Is always "checking up" on me 
  • Takes my money and other things
  • Threatens to leave me if I don't do what I'm told
  • Teases, bullies and puts me down
I'm happy to say, according to this, I found a reallllly wonderful man, and I think I'm as great of a woman, and we have an awesome relationship. Definitely something worthwhile and worth keeping when you finally come across it. 

Best of luck on your own endeavours to find the one who will love you, stay clear of those who love you not! 

Jules :Olove)

2 comments:

SIMON said...

Soroptomists are a great organisation for women, globally. Tomorrow March 8th is International Women's Day so a very fitting post. Well done with the post and more importantly ticking all the boxes - both you and your man.

Jules said...

Fancy that! I didn't know that when I posted :)