Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Thyroidectomy Update...

It's one year and almost 8 months since my total thyroidectomy. I'm here to tell you that so far, it's all working out. I have been a bit edgy lately though. In 2 Mondays, I have an appointment at the Cross Cancer Institute, to see if my bloodwork that I just had done says I still have thyroid cancer or not. If I still have cancer markers in my blood, I guess I'll have to continue to receive treatment and be under the watchful eyes at the Cross. I am nervous because the medication I just had to have injected prior to this test was really expensive and they didn't tell me to do anything different with my diet this time. No special salt/iodine considerations, no changes in my synthroid medication. Last time, I couldn't eat anything with sodium in it. I'm hoping I did as I was supposed to (I called them to clarify and they said no changes were necessary) and that when I go see my oncologist, he says "You're cured! Let's touch base in 5 years!"

I feel much better than I have in ages, and aside from a few comparatively minor health things, I seem to be in pretty good shape. People don't even notice my scar anymore and sometimes I even forget that it's there. But you know.. it's hard on the psyche, this whole thing is. It's an emotional roller coaster and while I know deep down I'm strong enough to go receive the verdict, I'm still afraid.

I guess the continued treatment would be having to receive more radioactive iodine and be in isolation for another 12 - 14 days. I dread that, because as much as there is technology (skype, the telephone, and social media) to keep me company, being in solitude for that many days was extremely difficult. I guess this time I would learn and write more music, and maybe finish another children's book. I have a few antique books that I bought and haven't read all the way through yet. I could do that. And it's warmer now, I could be outside in the yard lots. I'd have the most manicured yard in the subdivision.

Anyway, that's just an update. You know what? It is all scary, going through this process. But it's doable. It's not the end. If you're someone with a thyroid condition, I urge you to face it and attack it head on, right now. Don't wait. Because as scary as it may seem, being pro-active about it will do you wonders.

Jules :Oj


6 comments:

The Grunt said...

You're strong, Jules. Cancer blows the big one, so I will pray that things go for the best.

My Life said...

I hope it all goes well for you Jules, stay strong! :)

Jules said...

Thank you Grunty, I'll post my results either way..

Thank you so much ML! Thank you for stopping by!

My Life said...

After lurking your page for a long time I thought I should say Hi! and wish you well :)

SIMON said...

I hope that your results are everything you hope for. Continue to be strong. You'll be fine I'm sure.

Jules said...

ML - I'm glad you did come out of the woodworks! Here's your (free hug) for stopping by and letting me know you were there! :)

Si - Thanks, I'll post and let you all know.