Thursday, July 03, 2014

Joy is in the little things...

One of my favorite lines of the day coming from the back seat of the car, as I eavesdrop on my son and his best friend:

"Hey, imagine if you were like the oldest person on the planet but you had a baby's head..!"
They both look at each other and pause.
Uncontrollable giggles ensued.

Thanan's best friend, Cledan, is being moved to a new school next year. At the end of the school year, Thannan was suppressing tears and choking back the lump in his throat as he looked for Cledan to say goodbye. Nothing else mattered except saying goodbye. It was heartbreaking and I had to choke back tears too. It was even more difficult when we finally found Cledan and for a moment he didn't even get that Thanan was sad. I said "Hey Cledan, how about saying goodbye to Thanan and we'll promise to stay in touch, k?" and then Cledan snapped back to reality and threw himself into Thanan's arms. There they stood. An 8 year old and a 9 year old, standing amongst hundreds of passers-by, holding eachother as a tear shed down both of their cheeks. I'm sure a full minute passed like that, and then they looked at each other, said a teary goodbye and we walked on home. It made Thanan feel better, and I promised him I'd do my best to organize play dates for them and keep them together.

So today is the first time since school let out that they've gotten to hang. It's really cool. I love how well they get along and play together. And frankly, the stuff they come up with just cracks me up. Thanan's a kid who can make temporary friends with anyone at the park, but at the end of the day when you give him the choice of who to hang out with, it's always Cledan.

I hope they can stay friends, even though they'll be in different schools and will make new friends. I look at Thor and just love that he stayed in touch with his school buddies and many of them are still in his life today. I don't have anyone like that, personally. It's something rare and valuable.

Jules :Ojoy)

No comments: