Thursday, August 21, 2014

Just be nicer...

I just bought an 80+ year old man's groceries at the store. It was cream and bananas. I didn't think he needed to spend his money on such a small grocery list, so as I was having mine rung through I looked at him and told him "Can I buy those for you? My treat, today, if that's ok?". 

He replied "Oh My!! Thank you so very much, young lady. Thank you, thank you!!!" as he patted my shoulder and flashed me a huge smile with eyes that looked glossy with oncoming tears.


The astonishing thing was not that I bought them, but how overly thankful he was, and the amount of praise that I received, not just from him, but from the clerk and the other patron in line behind him. They acted like I was a hero. It made me think: "What has the world come to if stuff like this tiny act of kindness is such a huge deal?" It added not even $3 to my bill. It really wasn't a big deal. But it might have been for him, he was fumbling around with his change and it looked like he may not have enough. Seniors have a hard time making ends meat in this world today. I didn't want to see him have to go without his bananas and cream, because it was probably all this man would eat today, knowing what tiny appetites seniors of that age can tend to have, and what a struggle things can be sometimes for them. 


People, the world would be a kinder place if we could all do something nice for someone else every day. It really doesn't take much.


Jules :Oj



2 comments:

SIMON said...

But not every one is so positively, definitely as nice as you!!

That is a truly lovely little story, don't ever change!!

Jules said...

Thanks! I'll be back at the store tomorrow. I think I'll try and do something like that every time.