Monday, June 01, 2015

Just laugh a little... or a lot!

Today at my Monday morning part time job, where I'm the marketing consultant for a toy company, I researched and sent out a newsletter about how laughter physiologically affects the human body. It was the most fun topic I've researched and written about yet there, and I've done a lot of them over the past 2 years. I got to sift through jokes, look at laughter you tube videos and compile a list of many of the benefits of laughter. I'd love to really deeply study this concept.. become an authority on the topic.

You know, years ago, I had the idea of becoming a laugh instructor, or offering some sort of class where you come to laugh. Laughter yoga, laughter therapy.. something of the sort. I'm talking years ago. Maybe even pre-Thanan. But as always, I had this great idea, but never followed through on it. I have had so many of those great ideas (right Thor?). I think it's just that I lack the how-to-do-it portion of the process. Or maybe I'm scared of stepping away from the known into the depths of the unknown. You have to have balls to take chances.

Recently on the radio, I heard a whole segment on this topic and who was being interviewed? A "laughter therapist" who was talking about the "laughter competition" he just held in his city, and how the winner of it has attributed the improvement of her skin disorder (eczema) to her winning the competition. Shaking my head, thinking about my missed opportunity, I listened to the program and thought "That could have been me organizing that." What job could possibly be better than one that makes everyone laugh and in turn improves their health at the same time. Everyone leaves happy and healthier than when they came in.

Today when I told my boss that I was going to write about laughter and why, and told her that I used to want to be a laughter coach, she offered me a room in her new building when she moves locations in October. She said I could offer a class there once a week, a laughing class... and she was serious.

Maybe it's time to think about it. Not as a full time job or career, at least not at the start... but maybe I should think about putting this together and making this work. Even if it's only on a trial basis, and then go from there, or not. What qualifies someone to be a laughter coach or laughter therapist? I can't see how you'd be able to obtain a degree for that. I could offer classes for kids and adults, because nowadays, even kids need stress relief.

Here's the newsletter I wrote today, and it really only minutely scratches the surface.

It's staggering, how many ways laughter helps the body, and the best part is that laughter is free.

My niche?
Not sure... maybe.

Jules :Ohawhaw!

No comments: