Friday, August 28, 2015

The upcycle tire project... that drove me nutty.

Looking around a friend's industrial yard, I spotted an old trailer tire that was all rusty and dirty and obviously not being used. I asked if I could have it, told him I had a project that I thought it would be perfect for.  I'd seen somewhere online, an ad on Facebook I think, that someone took a tire and upcycled it into an ottoman. It was a giant tire, and they wrapped it in sysal, then left it on the ground, instead of adding legs. Naturally, I saw that and decided to make my own version, afterall, I needed a small ottoman for the chairs Thor and I upcycled back in July on the patio.

Things you'll need if you want to make one: A tire, measuring tape, pencil, wooden legs, plywood, screws, screwdriver, jigsaw, sander, hot glue gun and 30+ sticks of glue, rope of some sort (the thicker the better), and LOTS and LOTS of patience and perseverance.

Here, I had measured, cut out and sanded two circles with the jigsaw, the perimeter to fit inside the grove in the tire hole with about an inch overlap.


Next, I sanded down the recycled furniture legs that I brought for $3 at the Habitat for Humanity Restore.


Attach one of the plywood circles to the tire. I used 3 screws. Then attach the legs to the plywood. I did it in this order to cover up the screws affixing the plywood to the tire.


Voila! It's starting to take shape. Now screw the second plywood disc to the top of the tire.


Situate yourself in a comfortable location near a plug and get ready for the long hard part. This tire, which is just a small trailer tire, took 300 feet of this nylon rope in total. I had initially only bought 2 packs, had to go back and get another. Now you're ready to start winding and hot glueing.


With center marked, begin hot glueing the rope in a circular fashion all the way around the tire. When I began this, I thought I'd be done in about an hour. I was t.o.t.a.l.l.y wrong.


This is not a project that will happen quickly. Be prepared to be here wrapping and glueing for hours, around and around and around. I ran out of hot glue sticks and had to run to Walmart to buy more. When I read about this project online, it said it would need about 6 glue sticks. I had a dozen, thought I was set. I used about 30 or more by the end of the 300 feet of rope.


By this point, I was like "OMFG.. this is NEVER going to get done!" I seriously was regretting beginning this project. Glue, stick the rope down (to the rope, it won't stick to the tire), turn, glue, stick it, turn, glue, stick, turn.... AHHHHHHH!!! I'm sure I told the tire where it could stick it by about hour 2 of this. Seriously, had I read about how difficult it was to get the rope to stick properly and how long it would take, I really would not have attempted this. But once I got to this point, I figured there was no turning back. My fingers were hot glue burned and rope burned, but I just kept on going.


FINALLY, after 2 days of wrapping and glueing and spinning, a whole bunch of sighing and a lot of f-bombs, I got the whole thing wrapped. In total, the project took about 8 hours spread over two days from start to finish. Thor says he really likes it, it's got a bit of a mid-century atomic flare to it. Wrapping it brought out a unique style that wasn't apparent there before. But for reals... I hated this project. I like the final outcome though, the finished ottoman, but I neglected to treat the plywood and make it waterproof, so I don't even think it'll stay out on the patio. I'll have to just take it inside and outside when I want to use it. I like the white nylon rope, but if it came in a larger width, that would have been infinitely better.


So yeah... the next time I see a project online that I want to do, I'm going to really analyse it and think long and hard about how much effort it will take to accomplish. 

On to my next project, which is going to be comparatively, a warm summer's breeze! It has to do with a tree trunk my mom had to get rid of in her yard this spring. Wish me luck! 

Jules :Oargh! 


2 comments:

SIMON said...

The end result is amazing such a shame that patience and perseverance were pushed to the extreme!!
Good luck with the tree trunk!!

Jules said...

Is it really all that amazing? I don't know. Right now it's a guitar stand.. lol.

Thanks though!

Tree trunk project 1 has begun. It's already harder than it should have been too. But I think it will work out.