Monday, October 12, 2015

New Old Coffee Table...

There's just not enough time in the day any more to sit here and compose a blog. Lately, I've been working almost full time at the toy store that I normally only work part time at. The owner decided to relocate to a new location and we've been literally working our asses off packing, moving and setting up the new place. It will be excellent over there though.

This Thanksgiving, I was supposed to go down to see Thor at his place in Washington, but to make a long story short, a short while back, I ended up buying a coffee table at an antique store in BC, but had no clue how to get it  up here, so he volunteered to bring it up this weekend and stay here for Thanksgiving instead of me going down south. The coffee table is beautifully aged and worn. There's some debate as to how old it is and how it got it's age, but I'm choosing to believe that some loving family with kids often gathered around it, playing on it, doing crafts on it, using it for a centerpiece for family movie nights or an all important table for serving hors d'oeuvers to  friends and family on during times of celebration. I believe it witnessed good times and bad times, was host to many a wonderful novel, tea, candle and even study surface. It was a catch all, see all, sturdy and strong through some many years.



That's Thor's banjo, it looks great sitting there! 

That's my belief. I love the table. I love that Thor brought it up for me (it wasn't without issues!). I love that I own it now and can continue to add to its history and charm. As big as it is, it opens up my living room again, and gives me a sense of space.

I know objects are just objects, but when you find something that you connect with on some level, it's more than just an object.

Jules :Oyay!

2 comments:

SIMON said...

Lovely table and no not just an object!!

Nancy said...

It reminds me very much of the pine coffee table we had when my youngest was little enough to be running Hot Wheels across the top of it. I never once had the desire to fix the top. Instead, it was like a reminder of my children's youth and the fun they had - poor pine coffee table. I will say that once they had passed that destroy the furniture age, I got the cherry tables I really wanted! My older son once bit the arm of my rocking chair when he was a little over a year old. Every time I see those teeth marks, I smile.

Your table is great. It shows love. Just enjoy it and wonder about its memories.

Would you ever consider adding the gadget that allows someone to subscribe to your blog via email subscription? It sure makes life easier when new posts come right to one's inbox. Thanks.