Thursday, February 18, 2016

Ok, I'll jump back on board again... Hello Yoga.

Reconnecting with Yoga is going to be a good thing, I think. Last night I did a 30 minute routine, and then spun my bike downstairs for a little while. I used to do yoga about 3 or 4 times a week. I even tried Hot Yoga for a while.

Hot Yoga is ridiculous in my opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone out there who loves it, because I know lots of people certainly do. But in my opinion, all it does is put you in these incredibly slippery positions where you really count on body parts sticking together, or at least to the mat, but are deprived of that false sense of security. Instead, hot yoga makes you feel like you just got out of the shower and are standing, dripping wet, on a greased up slip n-slide. And you're expected to stay quiet, composed, meditative while trying to pull off all these positions that you could barely be expected to do on solid ground, all the while, it's sooo humid that you can barely breathe and you literally feel like you're going to pass out. Then, when you just decide that you've had enough torture and try to leave the yoga room, they point to you, call you out and INSIST that you stay and just lay on your mat and breathe in a resting position until you feel better. By that point, you're nauseous, totally dehydrated, you've sweated out of every pore in your body (even places that you didn't know had pores), there's a large actual puddle on your mat, and you're convinced that you must stink, but your nostrils are also dripping with sweat and it's blocking any ill odor that you know must be seeping out of your body.  And then, just when you least expect it, you're told to go into downward dog position and the person directly in front of you lets out a little squeaker (because that's a great position for expelling gas) and you literally just about pass out because of the wet stench and the insane difficulty you have trying not to burst out laughing. Maintain composure at all times. The only assurance you give yourself is that everyone else is also being held prisoner in that same room enduring the same nonsense as you are having to go through for 90 minutes.  To me, hot yoga is like a test of survival. The only good feeling is that you actually came out of it alive. But for some reason... I went to 5 of those classes. I'm pretty sure it was 5. Maybe it was just 3 but it felt like 5.

Anyway, you sweat enough in a normal room doing yoga, if you're doing it right, employing every muscle in your body and breathing deeply. Oh, and that's another thing. Some of the positions you have to twist into really make it difficult to breathe.. some of them feel like you're taking your full lungs and compacting them into something akin to the size of an orange. And you're expected to control your breathing and take long deep breaths. To me, that's nearly impossible. I just stand there huffing and sputtering until the position is released, then I can breathe again, most of the time... well, in those really bendy positions.

It's just Heavenly.

I didn't know how I felt about yoga for a while because of the accusations that were floating around about the western world appropriating eastern culture and adapting it to please us. That sortof sucked and turned me off for a while, but you know... I did it last night and it felt good again. I don't know any of the real position names, I barely can do anything requiring balance, but I learned that it all comes back to you fairly quickly. Not the names... those, I'm hopeless at, but the balance and success of position comes back.  

So, I'm really looking forward to re-connecting with yoga.

Have you done yoga?

Jules :Ostretttccchhh)


2 comments:

أحمد الرشيدي Ahmad Elrashidy said...

hi
how are U?
nice blog
============
ahmad from Luxor - Egypt
rashidyahmad@yahoo.com

Jules said...

Hello Ahmad, thank you for commenting! Here's your free *hug* for doing so (that's a tradition I've done since my blog's inception). I am very good, thank you for the compliment. It's cool to see that people from all over the world read my blog. :)